View Full Version : Can-Am Outlander with Tracks

Brian Berkhahn
02-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Here is my 400 outlander with tracks that I bought from the great folks at AMDS.
The most common question I always get is how it does in deep snow and I've got to honestly say it does fantastic! If you're cruising down the trail make sure you have a snow suit on because it sure loves to throw the snow.. just like my 35x15.5 TSL Super Swamper tires like to throw mud.

Brian

chickenminer
02-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Brian,
Interesting! How is it for steering, maneuverability in summer? Or are the tracks just for winter?

Brian Berkhahn
02-08-2010, 12:04 PM
I don't use them in the summer time.. only in the winter. You could use them in the summer but since the tracks have hifax's on them like a snowmachine they need a little bit of lubrication on them or they will get to hot. I think they would be very good for someone who wants to travel across a bog or tundra as it doesn't leave much of a footprint... just make sure you have a really good winch incase you get stuck. I've tried them in the summer and they sure do ride rough!
The turning radius on it is quit large and you have to be in motion to turn it, they really take away on the speed of the machine but since I strickly bought them to go in and out of the mine in the winter and not for rippin and tearin around on the country side it's perfect and they only cost 1/3 of what a snowmachine costs these days plus it's easier to store the tracks then a whole snowmachine. In just a couple of hours I can have them changed over.

Brian

Steve Herschbach
03-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Hi Brian,

I'm more an ATV guy than a snowmobile guy. ATV tracks make sense to me as it allows a person to use their ATV year-round. I was amazed how little snow it takes to stop a typical ATV dead.

Some kind of summer version with bogey wheels would be great for swamps.

Sounds like a 400 might be a bit under-powered for the tracks.

Nick Olzenak
03-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Brian, Thos photos are great! What a testament to where those ATVs can take us. I wish I had photos when I had the 800 MAX with tracks up at Summit Lake fully loaded with three adults and full gear in snow that was deeper then the racks... It just kept going and going! Im a sled guy myself (as you know) but the times Ive spent on the tracked Outlanders has almost been more fun!

Brian Berkhahn
03-14-2010, 07:28 PM
Hey Steve.
Yeah.. the 400 is a bit underpowered but it still does the job, I've tried riding it in the summer and it sure is bumpy.

Nick,
I would have loved to see that version when you were trying it out, I'll never get rid of mine.

Brian

extractor
03-20-2010, 09:21 AM
I like it. Do ya have to have licence plates or OHV stickers on them in Alaska?

Brian Berkhahn
04-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Don't need either however if your on State Land you need an OHV sticker on it, only costs 10.00