View Full Version : Starting fire

Damon41
11-21-2010, 10:28 AM
I came across this but haven;t tried it yet. I don't like the idea of having to rely on a battery in the bush.

When I go camping the 1st thing is water purifier and a 9v battery, some small painters steel wool and a small 100-150ft of 100-500lb nylon rope (about 1/2 the size of a pencil). The finer the steel wool the better. You can use just litte pinch of the steel wool and put a 9v battery to it and it will ignite right away. Very cheap and works great...Matches or lighter work good will get wet or run out of fuel. You can light at least 100-150fires per 9v battery.

Anyone else have interesting ways to start a fire?

DavidRamey
11-21-2010, 12:10 PM
I use a combination of new technology along with old technology. I use strike anywhere matches in a waterproof matchsafe and fire ribbon. A dab of fire ribbon on anything burnable will start a fire. I have used this method to get a fire going in a Michigan thunderstorm using wet wood with one match.

Damon41
11-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Thank you much. I had never heard of Fire Ribbon. In VietNam
when we wanted to start a fire we tore off a piece of C-4 and lit
it. Burns readily and voraciously at 450 degrees.
I have Strike Anywhere kitchen matches. I lite them on my pant
leg.
I will get some of the Fire Ribbon.
Which is better for coating wooden matches: paraffin or beeswax?

DavidRamey
11-21-2010, 07:37 PM
I actually do not like to coat the matches in paraffin or beeswax. That is the purpose of the matchsafe, to keep the matches dry. Paraffin or beeswax seems to make the matches harder to light in my experience. I get fire ribbon from REI. When I was in the Army, we used heat tabs or the peanut butter from C-rats or MRE's to start fires. That peanut butter is really flammable and burns hot.

Damon41
11-21-2010, 08:15 PM
I actually do not like to coat the matches in paraffin or beeswax. That is the purpose of the matchsafe, to keep the matches dry. Paraffin or beeswax seems to make the matches harder to light in my experience. I get fire ribbon from REI. When I was in the Army, we used heat tabs or the peanut butter from C-rats or MRE's to start fires. That peanut butter is really flammable and burns hot.

I think I will buy some peanut butter and try it. Hope it will have dual uses

tvanwho
11-22-2010, 07:07 PM
Where do I buy this Fire Ribbon stuff? I must be the worst campfire starter ever born. Will have to try the Peanut butter trick.
My brother in law just douses everything with lighter fluid or gas.He is pretty daring for a life insurance salesman. Are them magnesium fire starters any good? You can get magnesium out of old mainframe computer printers and even computer hard drives for free.

-Tom V.

DavidRamey
11-22-2010, 07:44 PM
Fire Ribbon can be bought at REI, LL Bean, Sportsman Warehouse, etc. I do not think regular peanut butter will work, it was the liquid that was in the Army peanut butter that was flammable, so unless you have some C-rats or MRE, I doubt the peanut butter will burn.

Slim Farris
12-09-2010, 06:00 AM
try the peanutbutter that is now homoginized and the oil separates to the top. It is also the best tasting but you have to siir it up.

GPICKER
01-29-2011, 09:31 PM
cotton ball saturated with petroleum jelly (lip balm). Waterproof and will burn for several minutes. Really helps when trying to start damp tender. Best of all, very cheap and keeps forever.

wonderer
02-08-2011, 11:11 PM
cotton ball saturated with petroleum jelly (lip balm). Waterproof and will burn for several minutes. Really helps when trying to start damp tender. Best of all, very cheap and keeps forever.

Right on GPICKER,

Store the petroleum saturated in film canisters (easy & cheap), when need one pull out a small section and fluff up. Light with matches, disposable lighter or fire steel (ferrocerium rod also known as a ferro rod).

If you get a ferrocerium rod (only) be sure its drilled for a small loop to go over your knife/leatherman sheath flap to secure it. The key chain magnesium bar (get a pile of magnesium shaveings, light with the rod) & attached ferro rod also works well. With both use a knife blade or small broken end of a hacksaw blade to strike the sparks. Practice with it a few times to get the hang of it.

Having muliple ways to start a fire can be a lifesaver.

wonderer

Minermike
06-22-2011, 11:48 PM
Coleman sell good water proof matches, buy a box or two. The other thing is , be prepared, I saw a storm coming and pushed a lot of dry kindling under the 4 wheel drive.

highbanker58
07-23-2011, 06:54 PM
I use a Magnesium/ Flint survival fire starter. You use a knife to scrape some of the Mag. off the stick into a pile then place that pile of Mag.on dry tinder strike the flint with the knife onto the Mag. it burns white hot and you've got a fire. It's water proof under any wet condition.There are a lot of companies selling these online under " Campingsurvival.com " Dave

auminesweeper
11-22-2012, 03:59 PM
when I want to waterproof any matches I usally melt some candle wax and dip them in it, that works Ok.

cottonwool makes great tinder, or you can use thinsulate wadding if your in a binde, In the UK there is a weed called dandylions that have yellow flowers on and when they turn to seed they get down like seeds on them and they make good tinder and if your walk/hunting in the wet lands then try using the down type seed pods off of the rushes that grow at the waters edge, I call them bull rushes, I dont know if thats the right name but they look like hot dogs on the end of a stick,
you can make your own tinder by putting a 3ft or 2ft square of cotton in a tin fold it up real tight then put it in a can with a lid on it pierce the lid so the heat wont blow the top off and stick it in the fire for around 6 to 8 hours and when you take it out be very careful coz it will tear easily and light very fast,

If you youtube a Guy Called Ray Mears and making Tinder he will show you how, He also trains special forces people in survival and he would have to be one of the best around, if not the best,

blessins John