View Full Version : What Make/Model GPS Do You Think Is Best?

Marshall/Ak
12-31-2010, 07:33 AM
Just curious what "ya'll" recommend as best bang-for-the-buck in a hand-held GPS? (I'm talking about those for use in the woods/back-country hiking, prospecting, etc)
Mine is an old Magellan 2000XL, which still works but is frightfully SLOW to acquire a lock, and seems weak picking up satellites in the bush...quite often losing lock altogether. Also, it is not WAAS enabled, so is not horribly accurate...I can get within 100' or so of a location, but that's about it. This past summer the battery cover kept popping open all by itself, so I figure it's time to get something newer, but I want one that is better, not just a replacement. (without spending an arm and a leg...like maybe $250 or less) (unfortunately, I don't have a money tree in my backyard...:()
A quick scan of the web finds a lot of people are recommending the Garmin 60CSx. Any of you have other recommendations? Good/bad experiences?

Thanks,
Marshall

Steve Herschbach
12-31-2010, 07:54 AM
Garmin Rhino since it combines radio and GPS. One unit can give direction and distance to another unit. Want to know how long that airstrip is? You go to one end with a Rhino, your buddy goes to other end, push button. That easy. Gets rid of need to pack both GPS and radio.

DavidRamey
12-31-2010, 09:10 AM
I use the Garmin Legend. I bought it before the Rhino's were available.

chickenminer
12-31-2010, 04:35 PM
Marshall,
I had a 60csx when they first came out. Very nice unit and you can use an external antenna with it too. I sold it and bought a Garmin 276C, because I wanted the larger display. The 276c is very nice but a larger unit. I think the 60csx had a more sensitive receiver. Kind of sorry I sold it now. Thinking hard about selling the 276C and replacing with the new Garmin 62st.
I've always been happy with Garmin ... well except for their clunky MapSource software !

jonp
01-26-2011, 08:56 AM
Another cool feature with the garmin when you key your mic you show up on your buddies topo map so you always know where the other guy is great when your hunting.

GPICKER
02-10-2011, 09:46 AM
I picked up the Garmin GPSMap 62s. Rather than buying the 62st, because I preferred the Nat Geo TOPO! maps over the Garmin topo. The Nat Geo installed easily on the 62s and I purchased both the gps and topo software for less than the 62st. JMO

Walt_Anchorage
02-22-2011, 01:44 PM
On a related subject have you heard that the new 4G cell system may make GPS receivers unusable? The two use adjacent frequencies. Garmin and other makers are trying to get the FCC to stop the new cell transmitter’s form going in. It's been in the aviation news the past couple weeks but I haven't heard anything elsewhere.

I imagine it will be fixed before we have a problem in Alaska as there is no 4G cell service here and likely won't be for some time.

Marmoratus
03-17-2011, 12:02 PM
I have a Garmin GPSMap 76C that I liked quite a bit, but now I hardly ever use it. I use my iPhone 4 instead, because the GPS apps let me download and store aerial photos and USGS 1:24k topo maps for wherever I'll be. I can carry a printed topo map with extra information from the AK Mapper, and use the iPhone app to figure out exactly where on that map I am.

Obviously it isn't very durable/rugged for prospecting, but the maps are worth the extra caution. It looks like Garmin has a "Garmin Custom Maps" feature now that lets you do things sort of like that, but it's only compatible with more recent models.

Walt_Anchorage
04-19-2011, 04:27 PM
Does the iphone GPS app get it's location from the satellites or cell towers? There is no cell service in most parts of the Alaskan bush.

Steve Herschbach
04-19-2011, 04:30 PM
The iPhone uses a combination of GPS, Wi-Fi, and cellular towers. Mine is pretty amazing at tracking me as I drive around.

Akjosh
04-19-2011, 04:52 PM
I know my gps still works when I have no reception and no wi-fi. I have several gps apps. The main one I use is for skiing and I commonly ski where there is no reception, and deffinately don't have wi-fi out there. It seems to be very accurate with location and speed (it tracks how fast I ski). Oh ya, I forgot to say it's an iphone4 as well.

Marshall/Ak
09-02-2011, 05:13 AM
I ended up getting the Garmin 60Csx and couldn't be happier. As Dick mentioned, the receiver in it is pretty darn sensitive...way better than my old GPS.

wwace
11-24-2011, 01:51 AM
Rino all the way, great units

Seb1008
12-18-2011, 05:06 PM
I just bought the DeLorme Earthmate PN-60w GPS Receiver. When I activate the Spot subscription I can message family everyday telling them I am ok, and it will also send out an emergency SOS signal if I need to. It gives a bit of peace of mind to the family when I am back in the woods. You can also post messages on face book and selected people can track your position.

auminesweeper
11-19-2012, 05:09 PM
The Unit I have found to be the most useful is the Garmin GPS76, for some pretty simple reasons you can change the zoom settings meening that for each centimeter of the screen can equal from 20feet right out to 500 miles which is great if i want to find the nearest city's and towns, I bought it because I did not want street mapping software popping up on the screen all the time also it does have all the navigational aids/beacons on it because it is really made for use on water as well, it also has setting so you can have 1 set of data ie MPH or you can have 9 lots of data on the screen at once and weather you want an Altimeter or a compass, bearing, track speed, velocity, distance too or distance travelled , accuracy,etc etc etc, it will draw a bread crumb trail and if I'm driving under 50mph or driving off road i set the Zoom setting from 1.2 miles or if im going slower or walking or going to where i got my last great find I then set it down 20 feet, If I have made a good find I mark the spot on the GPS then I will press the average/accuracy button and it then gives me an even more accurit reading, one thing that I have noticed is that even when the accuracy meter says its at 19 or 23feet it is a heck of alot closer than that,AND what I meen is that if I stand in one spot and not move my feet and turn 90degs the coordinates change and turn back it reads the Lat/Lons that it first said, I would go as far to say it's within 0-3ft 99.9% of the time, it has a larger size screen for us ole F&%ts ( by the way I'm 52 years young ) even though my eyes are shot and it takes me all night to do what I use to do all night and another great feature is that you can change the txt size ( still need glasses ) it can be powered from the cigar lighter socket and it does real good on batteries too, if it is still available they are fairly cheap and also checkout the Garmin GPS72 it is silver in color and the GPS76 is white which is great coz i can always see it on the ground or where ever I have put it down,

anyway thats my spin on GPS's and I've owned about a dozen of them, I hope this is useful and I ain't offended any of you clean living folk

blessin's, John