View Full Version : Sea-Doo Racer Breaks Two Guinness Records

Steve Herschbach
02-12-2010, 07:17 PM
SEA-DOO RACER ERIC LAGOPOULOS BREAKS TWO GUINNESS BOOK WORLD RECORDS IN 24 HOURS

On November 12 (deemed Guinness Book of World Records Day), Sea-Doo racer Eric Lagopoulos’ dreams came true when he broke the world record for the furthest distance traveled on an “aquabike” in 24 hours and the furthest distance traveled on an “aquabike” in six hours aboard a BRP Sea-Doo RXT iS 255 watercraft.

Following Lagopoulos’ record breaking efforts, BRP's Sea-Doo team had the chance to sit down with the new Guinness World Record holder to discuss his attempts. Here is what he had to say…

What records did you break?

The records I broke were for the furthest distance traveled on an “aquabike” in 24 hours and the furthest distance traveled on an “aquabike” in six hours.

What were the previous records?

Breaking these records, I joined the likes of Mike Pagliccia, Juan Felix Bravo, and Dale Vranckx as riders setting new world records in 2009 on Sea‑Doo watercraft.

Pagliccia of Florida set a world record for distance on a personal watercraft by riding his Sea-Doo watercraft 753 miles (1,211 km) in 24 hours to set the new open-water mark two weeks prior.

The previous record for the furthest distance in six hours was set by Dale Vranckx of Ontario, Canada. He set the overall distance record in six hours traveling 266 miles (428 km).

Where did these attempts take place?

We decided to do this around a 20.5-mile loop on the C-54 Canal south of Palm Bay, FL. We chose this location because no matter what, the water always remains flat.

What was the outcome?

The first record was broken around 6:00 a.m. on the morning of November 12; I completed 286 miles (460 km) in six hours. For the record for the furthest distance in 24 hours, after riding for over 17 hours I was satisfied with bettering the previous mark by nearly 100 miles (160 km), and finished with 880 miles (1416 km).

What unit did you ride?

I completed the attempts on a BRP Sea-Doo RXT iS 255 watercraft.

What made you want to do this?

From racing for so many years, I wanted to challenge myself to do something different. I had great support from BRP and I was able to raise money for a great cause.

What was the hardest part of the attempt?

Throughout the entire attempt I battled strong winds, dark skies, scattered rain, wildlife, etc. I’d have to say that the hardest part was riding during the early morning – it was pitch black and very difficult to see.

How long did you ride for?

I rode for nearly 18 hours.

How did you feel during the attempts?

It was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. Mentally it was tough; it was just me out there by myself for almost 18 hours with no one to talk to. Physically, adrenaline kicked in for most of the ride. I was tired throughout but I managed to pull through.

If I hadn’t been riding the Sea-Doo RXT iS 255 watercraft I don’t think that my attempts would have been successful. BRP's iS (intelligent suspension system) system helped minimize fatigue, the iTC (intelligent throttle control) technology helped hold a constant speed, the Rotax power kept the pace, and I used the iBR (intelligent brake & reverse) system every time I came in for fuel stops.

How did you feel after the attempts?

Honestly, I felt great! I was sore for about two days but the morning after the attempt I was back to the daily grind. It was truly a remarkable experience and something that I will never forget.

We understand that you raised money for a charity. Tell us a little bit about that.

I did. I teamed up with legendary Pro Football quarterback Boomer Esiason and the Boomer Esiason Foundation for something I like to call “Project Dream.” My attempts were to raise money for the research and treatment of children afflicted with Cystic Fibrosis.

For more information on the Boomer Esiason Foundation, visit www.esiason.org (http://www.esiason.org). To donate, visit www.firstgiving.com/projectdream (http://www.firstgiving.com/projectdream).

How did you train for this?

I didn’t do anything specific, just my normal training regimen and running. I’ve been riding my entire life so I didn’t feel the need to amp up my training any further.

When did you make the decision that you wanted to do this?

In September I told myself that I was going to do this no matter what. I spent all of September and October working with Guinness to obtain all of the rules and paperwork.

If someone breaks your records are you going to attempt to break them?

If someone breaks the records, good for them. But it won’t last long; I’ll go out there and break them again! I want this to stay for a while.

It’s been a few weeks since the attempts. Have you been back on the water?

Actually, yes. I took about a week off and that was it. I’m back on the water and loving every second of it!

What’s next?

Back to training!

Sea-Doo, RXP, RXP-X, RXT-X, GTI SE, iS, iTC, S3, iBR, iControl, WAKE, and the BRP logo are trademarks of Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. or its affiliates. GTX is a trademark of Castrol Limited, used under license.