View Full Version : newbie

DavidRamey
01-05-2011, 07:04 PM
I am for all practicle purposes a new snowmachine rider. The last time I rode a snowmachine was 25 years ago in the Army. I have a 1997 Ski Doo Summit 583 and a trailer. What other gear will I need to go riding? Anybody give lessons?

Nick Olzenak
01-06-2011, 01:16 PM
Newbie,

I had a 1996 Summit 583 myself, to this day one of my all time favorite sleds! maybe because it was my first brand new sled! In Alaska there are no outfits that give lessons that I am aware of. Down in Wyoming there are actually some really great backcountry riding clinics and schools.

Im jumping the gun a little here, but stay tuned to this site for information of a backcountry travel clinic to be help at AMDS for just this reason! You can be our first sign up!

As for gear, you can never over prepare for snowmobiling in the Alaska Outdoors. Be sure you have some good layers, nothing cotton if you can help it and definatley gore tex or equal for the outer wear. For that Summit just be sure you have a good tool kit, spare belt and plugs! The trick to starting those is to master using the primer.

Good luck!

DavidRamey
01-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Thanks Nick. Sign me up for the class/seminar at AMDS. Just tell me date and time. What would you recommend for a helmet? I am retired and on a fixed income now, so price is important. I could use some better gloves or mittens.

Nick Olzenak
01-06-2011, 04:12 PM
No problem. We will be reviewing the material next week and will get the schedule information posted right away.
Helmets in my opinion are alot like buying shoes, in that every one fits a little bit different. First thing to decide is if you prefer a full face or open face helmets. Prices can range anywhere from $99 to $500 depending on what you prefer. A real good closed face helmet is the Modular 2 made by Ski Doo and are great at keeping the moisture out. http://akmining.com/cart/snowmobile_helmets_and_goggles.htm try searching here and look at the various styles.

I wear the open face helmets but ride "aggressively" so I prefer a goggle I can remove to get maximum airflow. But again I may wear Nike Shoes and you prefer bunny boots becuase of their fit...

DavidRamey
01-17-2011, 11:45 AM
I forgot to mention that I wear glasses. Does that make a difference between the choice of closed face versus open face helmets?

Nick Olzenak
01-17-2011, 11:57 AM
Not really.

It all about airflow. If you decide that you like the open face helmet with goggles over the closed face, they make OTG or "over the glasses" specific goggle frames. So no matter what way you go on the helmet they both with work just fine.

Alfonso
02-18-2011, 05:33 AM
I am also thinking about getting a used snowmachine. What would you get if you were to get a new one ?

Nick Olzenak
03-07-2011, 09:20 PM
So many choices and as you may have seen the 2012 sleds have been released. There is a sled for every type of riding there is out there. With so many choices you can't go wrong! With Ski Doo that is! Do you like the machine you have now? What does it do that you like, and dislike?