View Full Version : Prince William Sound

cjjeeper
01-31-2011, 03:06 PM
I am putting together a 12 ft Achilles and Honda 20hp motor kit. I am wondering if this kit would be adequate for Prince William Sound? I would like to head out to Paulson Bay which is about 18 miles. Does this sound reasonable?

Steve Herschbach
01-31-2011, 05:15 PM
A friend and I once took a 12 foot inflatable out of Seward only two miles. Nice going out. Weather blew up out of nowhere, wind and big waves. The trip back that two miles was one of the most miserable two miles of my life. Up one wave and down the other side. Wind whipping water off the top of the waves straight into the boat and our faces.

In great weather, flat seas, no problem. But 18 miles is a very long way if things get rough. And what if that motor dies? You'd better have full survival gear and communication capability.

Nick Olzenak
01-31-2011, 05:35 PM
I grew up in Alaska basically in a 14 FT Zodiac with a 40HP Evinrude on it. We took that little boat everywhere in southeast with its fairly protected waters. Prince William Sound is fairly moderate and as Steve points out the weather can change instantly out there. My favorite part of Prince William Sound is all of its places to "hide" from the weather. Again being prepared with oars, survival gear, and communication equipment will be key. Also always remember to file a float plan http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/boating/floatplan.htm

Good luck out there

cjjeeper
02-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the reply. This was basically a reality check. I spent 6 years in the Navy at sea so I am familiar with big water. I know we took our dinghies in crazy stuff (like 20 ft seas crazy). At any rate I just wanted to see if anyone was going to say "Whoa Dude...that's whacked."

Thanks for the float plan link, that will be very helpful. And the safety gear recommendation, consider it done.

BTW, I contracted a water taxi for this particular trip to ferry my boat out to Paulson, but I was always thinking like you Nick, there are tons of places to seek cover from big weather in the sound. I look forward to exploring it.

Thanks again,