+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Garrett's New Detector is here! The AT Gold...

Bearkat4160

Default Garrett's New Detector is here! The AT Gold...

Heres Garretts video of its introduction, availiable in October. I cant wait to try this machine out in the goldfields...runs at 18 khz.

goldmann

Introducing AT Gold
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=UrjueW3K0Yw

AT Gold Intro Special
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT3flgmuyHA&NR=1

1) Looks very good, but I would like more information on the Iron Audio Mode that is within the true All-Metal mode, and also on the high resolution Iron ID numbers on the TID screen-?

2) More detailed information on the 'Ground Balance Window' that spreads the ground balance range-? (All I know is it can help minimize the effect of local ground variations while maintaining good target detection.)

3) Information on the Manual and Auto ground balancing. Is there a real time true Auto GB tracking on it(like the Fast Track on the GTI-2500)-?

Jim Hemmingway

Thaks Alan for putting up the AT Gold video. Looks very interesting, but no comments at this time...

Jim.

auminesweeper

It Looks like a winner but the Iron ID has been out since the MXT and the GMT was on the drawing boards,
    Fisher/ Dave Johnson has some pretty strong views on ground tracking systems as they have the ground grab feature
    on most of their top sellers,
    Also I hope they have fixed the arm rest problem before they release it unlike the AT Pro?
    As far as I can remember the Iron ID in all-metal came out around 1990 with Whites and I think Tesoro also
    had it too but I dont remember when and which machine it came out on,

John

Bearkat4160

Yeh it looks lilke this machine comes with the longer arm rest unlike the AT Pro. I don't know if the iron audio of this AT Gold is similar to Whites machines, but when I get get one i'll know.

jpiii

This machine looks to be a very nice unit. I have pawed through the owner's manual, and it does not appear that it has a true prospecting mode. It has a threshold, but, unless I read the manual incorrectly, targets are indicated as a modulated Medium Tone. However I really like the waterproofing it offers. I have the ML 705 and have really come to value the all metal/multi tone fexibility it offers, along with true threshold prospecting. Again this looks like a great new unit - these are just some of my thoughts as a new guy in the hobby. Who knows, if this was available when I was shopping around I might gotten the AT Gold with waterproofing being the tipping point.
    Last edited by jpiii; 09-02-2011 at 12:16 PM.

Detector Prospector Steve Herschbach's Avatar

Hi,

Yes, the At Pro Gold has a true ground balanced threshold based all metal mode.

I have an AT Pro Gold in my hot little hands and I have to say it takes what was lacking in the AT Pro - honest gold nugget capabilty - and adds it. I have been around long enough to get a bit jaded on detectors but a 19 kHz unit with all the features of an above water unit and waterproof to ten feet gets my attention. The AT Pro Gold is not only a very capable nugget detector, it also has everything you would expect from a normal dry land detector and is waterproof. LCD target readout, full control complement, user coil options, no weight penalty, and at a very reasonable price.

Yes, it is like all do-it-all detectors a compromise machine. But I can't get over how this detector does so many things so very well. For all around use it is now the detector to beat. If you are in relatively low mineral ground, like for instance our backyard Kenai Peninsula, and want a detector to jump in the creeks with, this is it. I can't wait to don my drysuit, mask, and snorkel and hit the creeks with this detector. It is a snipers dream. Note that full underwater use requires optional underwater headphones. Get those, look for bedrock, and detect away. You have accurate man-made iron discrimination, so if you get a good signal, it is lead, copper, or gold.

The freshwater jewelry hunting capability is superb. I have always wanted an underwater detector with notch discrimination. Don't know what that is? I can tune out common coin and trash targets and concentrate on the likely gold targets. This is the freshwater jewelry detector I have been waiting for.

Now disclaimer time. Multiple use detectors by nature do well at everything but tend to compromise in many areas. The Garrett AT Pro Gold compromises less than many, and for underwater nugget detecting or freshwater gold jewelry detecting it is perhaps one of the best options currently available. For silver coin detecting, it is just average. Relics, not my strong suite, I would say very good but I would not call it a relic hunter. Salt water detecting? Probably the weakest area. Gold, gold nuggets and gold jewelry in fresh water and on dry ground are the main targets here. Go for the gold.

Did I mention it is waterproof? Worried about wading and dropping your detector? How about constant rain. The AT Pro Gold will shrug it off.

Garrett sent me one of these units too late in the season to make any finds. I am socked in at sub-zero temperatures. But I know my detectors, and I know this detector will allow me to hit sub-grain gold with the little 5" sniper coil. Yes, multiple coil options on an underwater unit, a real rarity in thse days of hardwired machines.

OK, I am sounding like a shill at this point. next summer I will show you the finds. It is not rocket science. Garrett has a winner on their hands.

Seb1008

Hello Steve I have been watching the AT Gold for the sniping abilities you talk about. The big thing holding me back is comments I have read from people in Australia stating it does very poorly with hot rocks. Do you happen to have a collection of hot rocks you could test it on to tell us about how it reacts and works with hot or cold rocks? Thank you, Seb

Detector Prospector Steve Herschbach's Avatar

Hi Seb,

I do not have the time right now but it would not surprise me or disappoint me if the AT has issues with hot rocks. It is a 19 kHz VLF detector - why would it NOT have issues with hot rocks? If that is the issue, get a PI.

With induction balance detectors you only get two choices. You can make a low frequency detector that does not pick up the hot rock at all. The problem there is if the detector will not react to a hot rock, it will also have very poor sensitivity to gold.

Or you can have a hot gold machine, but eliminate the hot rocks via discrimination. Like a Gold Bug 2 in Disc mode. Or in this case the AT in disc mode.

But if you tune out hot rocks gold next to and under the hot rocks will also be lost due to "masking".

Garrett has not repealed the basic laws of detecting. The AT Gold is a great little do everything detector. It is not a dedicated gold detector, and it sure is not a $5000 pulse induction detector. If you want top performance in a gold nugget detector then you should buy a detector made just for that purpose. That was not the design goal of the AT Gold and so no failure on its part as far as I am concerned if it does not outperform dedicated gold machines.

To answer goldmanns questions specifically, the AT Gold does have a threshold based all metal mode. It does offer iron discrimination while in all metal but so have other detectors for years. It works fine except on the tiniest targets, again, just like other detectors. I have yet to meet a VLF that will not lie and call tiny gold as ferrous. The unit can be ground balanced but it does not automatically track. The unit ground balanced fine for me so the ground balance window feature has so far gone unexplored.

To sum up, the AT Gold excels in the totality of its all around capability. But like all "do it all" detectors it does not blow the socks off dedicated detectors. If you call it a fresh water gold jewelry detector then a case can be made for it being second to none. That is exactly what I got it for, finding gold underwater. Above water I will no doubt be using different detectors to chase gold. I am not selling my GPX 5000 or Gold Bug 2 because I got an AT Gold.

AK Nugget

Hi Steve,

If the AT Gold is purchased thru your website will it come with the Garrett Introductory Pack?

Neal

+ Reply to Thread