+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Goldbug 2

Hybrid View

hermann

Default Goldbug 2

Hi All, Does any out there know what the difference is between a Fisher Goldbug 2 and a Fisher Goldbug 2 with the writing on the side of the control box Fisher M-SCOPE . I am confused. Any help would be very much appreciated. Regards, Hermann from Down Under.

Detector Prospector Steve Herschbach's Avatar

Older units made in Los Banos California said "Gold Bug 2" on the control box side decal. The new units made in El Paso Texas say Fisher M-Scope on the side decal.

The earliest Gold Bug 2 units had a little vinyl cap over the switches and the threshold control.

hermann

Hi Steve, Many thanks for your reply, that cleared up a few things. HOpe the Alaskan winter is not too harsh. Regards, Hermann.

rattlesnake jim

Steve, is there any difference between the Gold Bug 2 built in Los Banos and the one built in El Paso besides the decal and vinyl caps?
    Thanks!

Detector Prospector Steve Herschbach's Avatar

Funny you should ask. I think there is in that my old Gold Bug 2 could be "super-charged" by turning the threshold control all the way up in disc mode. The disc sensitivity was directly affected by the threshold setting. New units do not do this. I am actually trying to buy an older Gold Bug 2 and hope to have one soon to compare directly. I will report back when I have more information.

I am not saying at this time the disc mode in the old units could be made hotter than the disc mode in the new units but it seems that way memory wise. I will not know for sure until I can compare side by side.

I think the old control box was slightly thicker and stouter but again will have to compare. The old arm cup was metal and the new ones are plastic.

Jim Hemmingway

Steve...I recall you saying as much on one of the forums some time ago now. I remembered that and tried the same with my Goldbug2 purchased two years ago. But it had no effect I could discern. Your explanation above solves the riddle...

As good as the unit currently is, it could be better with a couple of simple changes. I wish the folks at Fisher would consider (a) installing a GROUND GRAB feature [in addition to the present manual ground balance control] for operator convenience, (b) extend the ground balance range further into the conductive zone. Presently its about equivalent with the F75's GB at a setting of roughly GB55 in terms of actual results...aside from operating frequency differences. I'd like to see it down to an equivalent of GB40 or so to be able to eliminate signals from all types of non-conductive hotrocks in a benchtest...at present this is not possible on some iron oxide rocks, and therefore the unit is not fully ore evaluation capable, (c) put the big volume dial into a smaller configuration and stick it on the front of the box alongside the threshold control. In its place install an adjustable iron discrimination control. That would permit the user to dial in only as much iron disc as needed rather than the current control that is fixed at hotrock discrimination.

Understandably Fisher may not wish to tamper with such a successful unit. I have read where DJ stated that last year was the unit's best sales year ever. But these are reasonable upgrades without infringing on the units overall "character".

Jim.

beav

Steve, it sounds like you are saying that the "los Banos units" might be slightly better sensitivity-wise than the newer GB II's, if i'm interpreting you correctly?
    So in your opinion, how would you say a Los Banos unit that could be "super-charged" would compare with the brand new Gold Bug PRO in terms of sensitivity and in overall performance?
    Beav

+ Reply to Thread