+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mike's 5" suction dredge

Pottercad

Default Mike's 5" suction dredge

Have all the components for my dredge 20x60 sluice floats new 15 horse Subaru ect.
    just lack the pump and do not want to pay Keen or Proline for a pump. How do i calculate or even know what pump I need to run this thing to its potential? Iam still up in the air about going with my 5" bulkhead and Jet or stepping it up to a 6" with a 5" intake what would be the increase with 1" more intake?

AK_Au_diver

That is a very large platform for a 5" dredge. How much increase depends on the type of ground you are working, sometimes a 6" vs an 8" is negligible. I don't know much about 5", other than that 5" suction hoses are hard to get, places don't stock them. 6" is much better as far as getting parts.

Where are you taking this?

The generic name for what you need is a "high pressure" (or "high head") centrifugal water pump, "pedestal mount" or "pedestal style" or "freestanding", unless you can get one that mounts to your motor. As an aside a clutch is nice, if you can get one cheap, I've wanted one but have not used one recently.

I like to couple with a "split spider" coupler with retaining ring, that way, since I don't have a clutch, I can disconnect and run the engine separate, useful for repairs and testing. Belts are nice too, more adjustments needed though.

Pottercad

Default Mike's 5" may be 6" now

Lots of river rock red clay. I thought a 500 to 600 gpm would do nice. What are your thoughts. I designed this thing from the ground up and I am stuck there. And yes a clutch would be nice but trying to keep the lb to a minimal for pack reasons. I have 100' of 5" but 6" would be nice the bulk head and (flume?) are easy to fab.
    thanks for the fast response.

AK_Au_diver

For river Rock, 6" is better, if allowed.

If you are packing stuff in, then that's the only reason to use two smaller motors. I figured, with your barge size, that it was road accessible.

You won't want 100' of hose, unless you have a smaller nozzle ring and good suction.

A pump capable of 600gpm or 200ft of head (at different places on their curve) is what Keene uses (check the pump's curves for the rpm/gpm, and the motor's curves for rpm/hp).

Pottercad

Sorry 20inch by 60 inch

Pottercad

[I wish]Sorry 20inch by 60 inch[/QUOTE]

Pottercad

What do you know about the north fork 40 mile

Pottercad

And Wess Devore

AK_Au_diver

Wess Devore came to Nome several years ago, lots of mining experience, lots of river dredging experience, but had some big ideas about ocean dredging, built and brought the wrong stuff and wasted a lot of time and money backtracking on his initial mistakes and not getting much gold. I think he sold off his Nome stuff and went back to what he knew.

I don't know him that well, but from the little I've interacted with him and heard about him, he seems like a good guy; he knows river gold and river mining. He was just a little too stubborn and didn't do good research when it came to Nome; but most people are that way.

flintgreasewood

Before I first came to Alaska in 06' I got interested in hovercraft as might be used to get around on Alaska rivers. I bought Wes Devore's video documenting the building, transport, and use of his mongo 10" hovercraft dredge on the Fortymile. It is a fascinating video. I'm sure you can still get a copy.

+ Reply to Thread